The EU’s Plan towards the Future We Want: Fireside Chat on the European Green Deal
20 September 2021 | 9:00 – 10:00 CET
SDSN Europe is hosting Fireside Chat on the European Green Deal at the 9th Annual International Conference on Sustainable Development.
In December 2019, the European Commission presented a framework to make Europe climate neutral by 2050, entitled the European Green Deal. This set of policy initiatives represents one of the world’s most progressive decarbonisation frameworks and has rapidly evolved over the last months. The European Commission introduced an EU taxonomy to direct financial flows towards sustainable activities and launched a Fit for 55 Package with the aim of reducing CO2 emissions by 55% by 2030. Moreover, the objective of becoming climate neutral was laid down in the European Climate Law, and EU Member States were asked to support European Green Deal objectives with their recovery funds.
In this session, renowned economist Prof. Phoebe Koundouri will lead a discussion among experts from policy, innovation, and finance to explore the opportunities and challenges of the European Green Deal, for Europe and the rest of the world. The conversation will be guided by the following questions:
- What are the main elements of the European Green Deal and how can this framework be used in other regions?
- What impact will the Green Deal have on the global level?
- What are the main challenges ahead in implementing the European Green Deal? What can other regions learn from this?
- What is the impact of the European Green Deal on the Agenda 2030? Are the two agendas mutually reinforcing or do they risk competing with each other?
- How can the European Green Deal address international spillover effects?
- What role does policy, innovation, and finance play in implementing this framework for counties and for Europe as a whole?
- Phoebe Koundouri, Chair of SDSN Europe and the European Green Deal Senior Working Group
- Mary Ritter, International Ambassador at EIT Climate-KIC
- Ketan Patel, CEO Greater Pacific Capital
- Laura Piovesan, Director of the Sustainability & Quality Management Departmentat European Investment Bank (EIB)
- Antoine Oger, Head of Global Challenges and SDGs Team at Institute for European Environmental Policy (IEEP)
Learn more: https://ic-sd.org/